I came across this recipe on the back of a cake box when living in the dorms at Columbia College with Karissa Scott. I’m not sure why we were making a cake, but I remember making it with her. Perhaps we needed a study break!
Anyway, we’ve kept it around because my husband is a huge turtle fan and if if something comes in turtle flavor, that’s what he orders! This is an easy cake to make and is so delicious!
- 1 box German chocolate cake
- water, vegetable oil and eggs as called for on cake mix
- 1 stick margarine
- 1 (14 oz.) package of caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chocolate chips or 1/2 a bag
- 1 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease bottom and sides of 13 x 9 inch pan.
3. Make cake batter as directed on package.
4. Pour half of the batter into the pan.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. While the cake is baking, heat caramels and evaporated milk in saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave until caramels are melted, stirring once or twice.
7. After cake has baked for 20 minutes, pull out of the oven and pour caramel sauce over warm cake in the pan. Sprinkle with 2/3 of the pecans and chocolate chips.
8. Pour remaining batter on top.
9. Sprinkle remaining pecans and chocolate chips on top.
10. Return to the oven and bake 30 more minutes.
11. Serve with vanilla ice cream, sprinkle with pecans, and drizzle caramel and chocolate on the plate!