I did not discover these little bites of creamy goodness until a few years ago. Apparently, these did not reach northeast Missouri because I had never seen or heard about them before.
A friend from Iowa is the one who introduced me to them and thought I was crazy for not ever having them before. However, she had never had Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Ritz Cracker Cookies before which I thought was crazy! Funny how foods are regional sometimes.
If you haven’t ever had cream cheese oreo balls before, you’ve got to try them and if you have, well, you understand why I’m blogging about them!
- 1 (16 ounce) package OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 package white almond bark
1. Crush 6 of the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor; reserve for later use.
Cookies can also be finely crushed in a resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin or having your kids stomp on them.
2. Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs and place in medium bowl.
3. Add cream cheese in and mix until well blended.
4. Roll cookie mixture into 42 balls, about 1-inch in diameter.
5. Refrigerate balls for 20 minutes to let them firm up before placing them in melted chocolate.
You can even place the balls in the freezer– this is what I did. If you omit this step, the cookie balls start to melt in the hot melted chocolate, so it’s important you cool them before doing this step, otherwise the two mixtures start to combine.
6. Dip balls in chocolate using a fork to pull them out and place on a wax paper-covered baking sheet.
Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.
7. Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs while the chocolate is still wet.
8. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Store leftover balls, covered, in refrigerator. You can also make these ahead of time and then freeze them until ready for use.