Some of our good friends had a baby girl recently and I was inspired to make something special for her. Her daddy is a die hard Royals fan and since there aren’t many of those, doing something Royals like came to mind when I was thinking of something to make for her.
I asked her dad if he could spare a Royals t-shirt for his little girl and of course, that wasn’t a problem. Then I got to work…
- elastic thread
- sewing machine
1. Determine the length of your dress and cut it off the bottom of the t-shirt (the bottom of the t-shirt will be the bottom of the dress)
I would have LOVED to have been able to use the Royals logo but I thought as far as dress construction goes, it would be better just to keep it blue. I would love to make another one of these to see how it looks with a big logo on the dress.
2. You will probably not want to cut the width down of the t-shirt unless you do want a newborn or 0-3 month sized dress.
I used a little over half the width of the shirt and sewed it back together but I wish I would’ve just used the whole bottom because it scrunched up quite a bit. I think the shirt was a size large to begin with.
3. Shirr the top of your dress by following Sandy Henderson’s tutorial on shirring.
I did 9-10 rows of stitching for the top of this dress.
4. Attach 4 long strips of ribbon to the dress using a sewing machine. These tie together to make the straps of the dress.
I sewed along the lines already in the dress from shirring so the stitches would be hidden. I sewed two lines across on each piece of ribbon.
5. Stitch a ribbon along the edge of the dress by sewing along the top and bottom of the ribbon.
7. Stitch baseball lines onto the white felt circle.
I actually had this baseball looking stitch on my sewing machine which made it super easy.
8. Attach the baseball to the dress with a white stitch all the way around the ball.
9. Tie the ribbons together to make straps for the dress.
I wanted to be able to show you what this looked like on a baby, so I threw it on Emden before wrapping it up for Reese. I thought it turned out adorable.
Here is another post you may be interested in: