MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
A little over a week ago I decided to make a difference in the life of someone I’ll never meet or know by chopping off 12 inches of my hair and donating it to Locks of Love. This was my fourth time to donate and I can’t think of an easier way to help someone out. Plus, it motivates me to change things up about every two years!
Locks of Love’s mission is to return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality hair prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children. The children receive hair prostheses free of charge or on a sliding scale, based on financial need.
1. Make sure your hair meets the GUIDELINES FOR ACCEPTABLE DONATIONS
- Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.
- Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off.
- We cannot accept dreadlocks. Our manufacturer is not able to use them in our children’s hairpieces. We also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
- Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
- Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
2. Cut at least 10 inches of hair from tip to tip off.
- Hair must be in a ponytail or braid before it is cut.
3. Mail in hair.
- Hair must be clean and completely dry before it is mailed in.
- Place the ponytail or braid inside of a plastic bag, and then inside of a padded envelope.
- All hair donations must be mailed to Locks of Love at:234 Southern Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33405-2701
If you can’t get the form to print for you, just write down your name and address on a full size separate sheet of paper and include it in the envelope.
Don’t have 10 inches of hair to donate? If you only have 8 inches of hair to donate, you can check out donating it to Pantene.