DIY. SAVE MONEY.
Cakes are expensive to buy pre-made, so if you have a little bit of time, it’s much more cost-effective to make one yourself. I thought this one was super easy to make because there is not a whole lot to it yet your monster-truck-lover will think it is super cool, especially since he gets to play with the truck and cars after he blows out the candles!
- two rectangle frozen cakes
- monster truck and 3 Matchbox cars
- graham crackers
- icing to cover cake and write with
Save a portion of the rounded part you cut off to make the mound later.
2. Put a layer of icing in-between the two layers before stacking.
3. Cover entire cake with a thin layer of icing.
It’s okay if some crumbs poke through on this layer.
4. Put some of the cake you cut off earlier to make your rectangles lie flat, in a mound to create a ramp for the monster truck.
Unfortunately, all I had were crumbs because I forgot to save any of the cake and this made it much more difficult.
5. Cover the mound with icing.
6. Add another layer of icing and smooth the icing.
7. Smash a couple of graham crackers into crumbs and sprinkle the crumbs on the cake to make a path for the monster truck.
8. Place a monster truck on the ramp and several cars for it to jump over on the path.
9. Use icing to add a border to your cake and writing.
The border was a disaster because I had a hard time getting the icing to look red instead of pink and then it was way to warm and mushy so I couldn’t get it to look right when I tried to make a fancy border so I just ended up doing a straight line. The writing was not creative either but we were running out of time and I knew Rylan wouldn’t care just as long as he could read his name on it. It’s always good to keep things in perspective and as much as I wanted to create a prize winning cake, all I really wanted to do was make Rylan feel special!
Check out these other cake tutorials of mine: