I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com and thought I’d try it out for our pumpkin carving party. From 202 reviews, it had received a 4.5 out 5 star rating which I thought was pretty impressive.
I’m not a cider fan so I can’t give you my opinion, but my husband was a fan. He thought it was perhaps a little on the sweet side, so you may want to put a little less brown sugar in. I also doubled the recipe to get a crockpot full.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 large orange, quartered with peel
- 2 quarts apple cider
1. Pour apple cider into a slow cooker or saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
2. Place the orange and cinnamon stick into the pot.
3. Combine all other ingredients and place in a coffee filter. Use a rubber band or twine to close the coffee filter together.
This step is so you don’t have to fish around all the ingredients when serving up drinks. The flavors will still steep out of the filter, but you won’t get all the chunks and grime. You may also choose to put the orange and cinnamon stick in the coffee filter as well. I personally like the look of oranges and a cinnamon stick floating around so I left them out. I had to divide the spices into two coffee filters because they wouldn’t all fit in one.