CREATE. HAVE FUN.
Looking for a craft to do with young ones? Something bug themed? I tried this out for my one year old’s birthday party and even though he couldn’t join in on the fun, they other kids (3-5 years old) really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend it because it was pretty easy to put together and rather inexpensive.
- pipe cleaners
- egg cartons
- hole punch
- wiggly eyes & glue (optional)
1. Cut egg cartons to size of bug or caterpillar.
For a caterpillar, cut the egg carton in half lengthwise and for other spiders and bugs, cut out individual pockets.
2. Pour paint colors into an empty egg carton to keep all the colors separate.
I always put one paintbrush in each color so I don’t have to worry about washing out the paintbrushes to switch colors. Instead, the kids just use the paintbrush for the color they want and then put it back when their done with that color.
3. Cut pipe cleaners in half for spider legs and antennas. Cut them into fourths for bug legs.
4. Let kids paint to their hearts content.
5. Once egg cartons are dry, use a hole punch or tack to make a hole to put the legs and antennas through.
6. Use a marker to draw a face for your bug or if you have wiggly eyes, glue them on.