Ever find yourself stranded in the middle of your closet amidst at a sea of clothes and muttering to yourself in disbelief, I have nothing to wear? What about searching frantically through that same sea of clothes in search for that one pearly white shirt but not being able to find it? Organizing clothes by color cuts down on time spent hunting for items. Your pearly white shirt will be next to your other white shirts and if it’s not then it must be dirty! It also makes matching outfits easy and lays out your options right in front of you.
Take 30-45 minutes today to organize your closet by color and make your life easier. You’ll make up that 30-45 minutes spent organizing in no time!
This past week we have sifted through sweaters & sweatshirts; cleaned out pants; weeded out shirts; sorted through dresses, skirts, outerwear, and pajamas; and thumbed through summer clothes. If you missed out, check out those posts first!
2. Decide on a few categories of clothing to divide your clothes into.
The categories I use are: dress pants, skirts & dresses, dress shirts, button-down shirts, tanks, short-sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, long sleeve shirts & sweaters, and jackets. That’s quite a few categories, but it is what works for me. You may want to keep it easier with just tops, bottoms, dresses, and jackets.
3. Pick a category to start with, such as dress pants.
4. Clear some space where you are going to locate the category. Leave plenty of room so it’s easy to slide hangers back and forth for rearranging.
You may need to lay some clothes on the bed while you re-organize.
5. Find your dress pants and one by one begin placing them in the designated spot. Make sure all your clothing items are facing the same way.
6. Put like colors together and decide on the order of your colors.
I like for my colors to progress into each other. My order is: white, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, red, orange, brown, black, gray.
7. Move on to the next category and follow the same process for every category. Make sure to keep the same order of colors when organizing your other clothing categories.
8. Don’t forget about the clothes you sat aside on the bed. Make sure to integrate them into designated spots.
So I know some of you may already think I’m crazy for organizing my closet by color or that I have way too much time on my hands. The later is definitely not the case and well…aren’t we all a little bit crazy when it comes to certain things? I really don’t think organizing your clothes by color is too crazy, but I can see where this next tip might be tiptoeing over to the crazy/OCD line but I must share!
If you want to achieve a really clean look in your closet, make sure your hangers match or match colors. I would love to have all the same hangers but that just doesn’t fit into our budget right now. Instead, I just made sure all my hangers were white (except for the felt hangers I’m slowly converting to). You’ll notice in the AFTER pictures that Jeff’s hangers are all dark colors. We had enough hangers to work with that I could get rid of all the odd colors. I warn you, this will take some time, but I think it is totally worth it!
Take a walk on the crazy side and start organizing your closet by color! You’ll be glad you did 😉