Feel like you have a million things to do before the big party? Want to make a professional looking cake? Baking your cake before hand and freezing it is your solution! If you bake your cake days or weeks before the party, you can have more time when the date gets closer to make other food or decorations for the party. Plus, freezing your cake makes it a lot easier to frost because it is not as crumbly after it’s been frozen. A frozen cake is said to last up to a month without losing any freshness; the longest I have frozen one is a week prior to decorating it.
- box of cake mix
- cake pan
- large serrated knife
- plastic wrap
- aluminum foil
1. Bake cake from scratch or according to package directions.
For this cake, we made two individual square cakes from one box of cake mix.
2. Remove cake from cake pan and place so rounded (top) side is up.
Run a knife along the edge of the pan to help loosen the cake from the pan.
3. Cut off rounded top by cutting straight across the cake. Remove cut off portion. Remaining cake should be flat.
Don’t toss the cut off cake! My son and I LOVE eating the warm cake top that has been removed!
4. Wrap cake tightly with plastic wrap and then cover the plastic with aluminum foil so no air can penetrate the wrapping.
5. Put the wrapped cake in the freezer.
6. You can freeze a cake for up to a month and it will taste perfectly fine and still be moist.
I baked this cake two days prior to decorating it.
Check out my other related posts:
- How to make a cake board
- How to make marshmallow fondant
- How to color fondant
- How to throw a bridal shower