As spring begins, it is time to go through your closet and find new homes for clothes that don’t fit or haven’t been worn in the past several years. This is somewhat of a monstrous project so I’ve broken it up for you throughout the week. Yesterday, we sifted through sweaters and sweatshirts.
Today’s focus is going through ALL of your pants including dress pants, jeans, sweatpants, etc! This will probably take you 10-20 minutes depending on how many pants you have and how indecisive you are!
1. Pull out all your pants so you can actually see how many you have. You will probably be surprised! I know I was!
2. Make 3 piles: KEEP, MAYBE, GET RID OF and start sorting them out.
- The KEEP pile is for pants you wear all the time.
- The MAYBE pile is for pants you only wore once or a couple times the past several years. If you really want to get ride of clutter, go by just this past year.
- The GET RID OF pile is for pants that don’t fit or you can’t remember the last time you wore them!
3. Try all of the pants on in the MAYBE pile.
- If they doesn’t fit, move to GET RID OF pile
- If they’re too short, move to GET RID OF pile
- If you don’t love them, move to GET RID OF pile
- If you have mixed feelings, hang onto them for one more year only
- If you love them AND they fit, move to the KEEP pile
4. Look at your two piles and see how successful you were.
It’s important to have everything out in one spot and actually comprehend how many clothes you have. This will help motivate you to get rid of more.
5. Fold the pants in the KEEP pile and put back into their spots neatly.
6. Put the pants in the GET RID OF pile in a garage sale box or donate to Good Will.
7. Enjoy all the new space in your drawers and closet!
I realize now how many pants I actually have. Although I didn’t get rid of many, I now know I can fit into all of them that I wasn’t for sure about or thought they fit funny. I feel like I just went on a shopping spree yet I didn’t have to spend any money!