This week we have been riding our closets of useless clothing. It may still be cute clothing, but for some reason or another you’re no longer wearing it either because it doesn’t fit right, your style has changed, or you have other clothes you just like better. In any case, I hope you have been motivated to join in on the de-cluttering project. So far we have: sifted through sweaters & sweatshirts, cleaned out pants, and weeded out shirts.
Today’s focus is pretty much everything that is left besides summer attire because we’re leaving that for tomorrow. This includes dresses and skirts, outerwear, pajamas, socks, underwear, etc. By the end of today, every part of your closets and drawers should be organized and hopefully downsized unless it contains summer clothes.
1. Pull out all your remaining clothes (in the same category, such as dresses) so you can see how many you have.
2. Make 3 piles: KEEP, MAYBE, GET RID OF and start sorting them out.
- The KEEP pile is for clothes you wear all the time.
- The MAYBE pile is for clothes you only wore once or a couple times the past several years. If you really want to get ride of clutter, go by just this past year.
- The GET RID OF pile is for clothes that don’t fit or you can’t remember the last time you wore them!
3. Try all of the clothes on in the MAYBE pile.
- If it doesn’t fit, move to GET RID OF pile
- If you don’t love it, move to GET RID OF pile
- If you have mixed feelings, hang onto it for one more year only
- If you love them AND it fits, move to the KEEP pile
4. Look at your two piles and admire your ability to get rid of some unneeded items.
It’s important to have everything out in one spot and actually comprehend how many clothes you have. This will help motivate you to get rid of more.
5. Fold the clothes in the KEEP pile and put back into their spots neatly.
6. Put the clothes in the GET RID OF pile in a garage sale box or donate to Good Will.
7. Repeat this process with each of your remaining categories of clothing
You’re almost done filtering through ALL of your clothes! Don’t give up now!