Love getting together with the family to cook or bake on a lazy afternoon? This is the perfect recipe if you do. This recipe is not a time saver, but the time is well spent because you get to enjoy warm long john rolls for the rest of the day. This recipe makes a big enough batch that you can enjoy them the next day too!
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 pkg dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 1/2 to 9 cups flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
1. Melt 1/2 cup shortening in microwave
2. Add 1 cup of boiling water
2. Once water becomes lukewarm, add 1 cup of evaporated milk
3. Dissolve 3 pkgs. of dry yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Stir until well mixed
4. In the milk and water bowl, combine 2 well beaten eggs, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg or cinnamon, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp. salt, and 8 1/2 to 9 cups of flour. Add the yeast to this mixture also.
5. Kneed 5 minutes (until smooth)
6. Rest dough 10 minutes
7. Roll out 1/4 in thick and cut in 1″ by 4″ strips (the edge pieces are fine left alone)
8. Lay on wax paper lightly dusted with flour and let rise until double in bulk
9. Fry in deep fat fryer
1. Melt 1/4 cup butter in saucepan
2. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar and let boil a few minutes
3. Pour this mixture into a bowl with 2 tsp. milk and 2 cups powdered sugar (amount of sugar will depend on how thick you like your frosting).
4. Mix until smooth (remember to add more powdered sugar if the frosting is too runny)
Now all there is left to do is to frost the long john rolls to create one amazing doughnut! Let everyone dig in to help at this part!
Making long john rolls is a family tradition of Jeff’s that I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying for several years now. His grandma in Iowa used to make them on cold winter days for her family and then his mom carried on the tradition. Jeff remembers having long john roll parties at the MU Christian Campus House growing up. Some students even came rolling into the house wearing long underwear! What a fun time!